Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Fisherma'am's Pie"

Hola! Rach here,
And today is all about a delicious easy dish called "Fisherman's Pie".
But I'm calling it "Fisherma'am's Pie" because girl power. Yep.
So many of you chicks might be a bit intimidated about cooking a dish with fish. (lol)
Or anything that involves you oven for that matter. (I've been there!)
But fuck that shit, and grab a casserole dish 'cause you are about to endeavor into something awesome!

I live around a little pub called "Madra Rua's". It's an Irish pub and everything they make there is SUPER GOOD. Usually I get the Shepard's Pie, but this last time boyfriend decided to try the "Fisherman's Pie". And boy was it delicious!

Served in a cute little ramekin, it was cod, shrimp, and veggie, topped with mashed potatoes.
Ermergerd. Per.

So, last night I was wandering around my kitchen, wondering what I was going to make for dinner, and I realized that I had pretty much everything I needed to make a quick and tasty version of this dish. Quick being the word, boyfriend claimed his stomach was eating itself, so into cooking action I go.

For this recipe you will need:
-Some sort of fish (I used Tilapia,because that's what I had, but feel free to use anything you like, including shrimps and scallops)
- A casserole dish, or single ramekins (you fancy, huh?)
- Veggies of your choice (canned was good enough for me!)
- Milk
-CHEESE
- Mashed potatoes (make 'em from scratch, instant, buy them made, don't matter)

Pre-heat oven at 350

Preheat your oven, at 350 degrees, and get out a casserole pan, and the rest of your ingredients.
Fishy...



 I am using tilapia, because that's what I have, and usually had, in my freezer. Its a white fish that pretty much tastes like whatever you season it like.Plus, it's pretty cheap.

Next add just a little milk over the fish. This takes the fishy taste from the fish, and helps the ingredients form a sort of gravy or base for the dish.
Next, add butter or margarine, either is fine, and some seasonings. Salt, pepper, whatever you have around, I added dill because I happened to have some, and if you cook a lot of fish, it's really good to have around.
I also chopped the fish up a bit, to make bite sized pieces. (I know it's not looking to delicious right now).
No salt added....until later...


So add in your canned veggies, or frozen or fresh. The key to this recipe (and blog) is using whatever you have around. I used corn and peas, but feel free to use carrots, asparagus, anything!

So in they go!!!
Casseroles are like ogres. They have layers.


Then, I added a layer of cheese BECAUSE CHEESE THAT'S WHY.
Then you make your mashed potatoes, by following the directions on the package, if you are a lazy bitch like me, or you can make them from scratch because you're fucking crazy.
Lazy. Potatoes.

I added some garlic, because $.50 packages of mashed potatoes are not usually top notch in the flavor department.

Throw 'em on your fish dish. More layers. This shit is complex.
Mashed potatoes are meat frosting. Think about it.

Then throw that shit in the oven for like thirty minutes, or until you are pretty sure it's done. Whatever.
Lookin' all majestic n shit.


Bowie says he's hungry! Make it come out the hot box!


Thirty minutes later...

Perky ears are a good indication your food is done. 




Take it out...
Sprinkle some cheese on that shit.
And serve.

It it pretty? No.
But is it fucking delicious? Hell's Yeah.
Chances are it won't be around long enough for anyone to notice it's not super fancy, but it's the kind of dish that's not really supposed to be. It's just good eatin'.
Impress your friends with a fish dish that's sure to please, and not empty your wallet.
Get out there and try something different!
It's always ok to create under the influence.
<3 Rach.

SIDE NOTE: I know my pics are kinda crappy. It's my P.O.S. phone. Getting new batteries for my nice camera soon, to remedy this. Thanks for understanding. :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment